Questions Persist as Licensing Website Fails and Confusion Grows in Minnesota Childcare Fraud Controversy

Uncertainty and public scrutiny continue to surround Minnesota’s childcare assistance system as state officials, daycare operators, and federal investigators respond to growing allegations of fraud tied to several childcare centers in the Twin Cities area. The controversy intensified after a series of viral videos drew attention to facilities that are largely Somali-owned, raising questions about oversight, transparency, and the handling of public funds.

At the center of the storm is the Quality Learning Center, a Minnesota-licensed daycare that reportedly received nearly $1.9 million in state funding during fiscal year 2025. The facility became a focal point after online commentators and bloggers, including Nick Shirley, questioned whether the center was operational during recorded visits. Those videos sparked widespread attention, prompting renewed inspections and triggering a surge of public interest that appeared to overwhelm the state’s licensing information website.

Licensing Website Crash Adds to Public Confusion

The Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) Licensing Information Lookup website, typically a low-traffic portal used by parents and providers, went offline for several hours overnight following the spread of the videos. Reporters and members of the public attempting to verify licensing details were met with error messages, further fueling speculation and concern.

A FOX-9 reporter shared screenshots of the site outage on social media, and Fox News Digital confirmed similar access issues the following morning. By midday, the site was operational again, but the temporary outage underscored the intensity of public interest and the lack of readily available answers.

The crash also complicated efforts to verify whether certain facilities were open, closed, or under investigation, leaving parents, policymakers, and journalists scrambling for clarity.

State Officials Respond to Viral Allegations

Minnesota Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) Commissioner Tikki Brown addressed the issue during a cyber-meeting, emphasizing that the state takes allegations of fraud seriously and is committed to protecting taxpayer funds.

According to Brown, the 10 childcare centers featured in the viral videos had already been visited by state officials at least once within the past six months. However, she acknowledged that the videos prompted renewed inspections to ensure compliance and program integrity.

Brown stressed that none of the facilities highlighted in the videos had their funding paused solely due to the online allegations. She added that several centers had previously undergone evaluations related to the Child Care Assistance Program and other state-administered initiatives.

“Our responsibility is to make sure that every dollar is used exactly as intended,” Brown said, noting that oversight efforts were ongoing.

Conflicting Reports About Center Closures

Confusion intensified when reports emerged suggesting that Quality Learning Center had notified officials of its intention to close on December 19. According to FOX-9, the center initially indicated it would shut down operations but later reversed course, deciding to remain open.

Despite repeated phone calls and emails from Fox News Digital to multiple DHS and DCYF offices, no confirmation was provided regarding the center’s current funding status or operational standing. Messages left with the department’s licensing division, provider hub, communications office, and Commissioner Brown’s staff went unanswered by deadline.

Adding to the uncertainty, state officials reportedly said that two of the centers featured in the viral videos were closed. However, one of those closures appeared to involve the Quality Learning Center, even as other reports indicated the facility continued operating.

Attempts to contact the daycare directly were unsuccessful, as the phone number listed in official documents could not be connected.

Daycare Manager Pushes Back on Claims

Outside the Quality Learning Center on Monday, manager Ibrahim Ali addressed reporters and community members, forcefully rejecting accusations that the facility was engaged in fraud. Ali accused some journalists and online commentators of spreading misleading information and unfairly targeting Somali-owned businesses.

“A lot of the journalism we’ve seen in the last few days has been really dishonest,” Ali said. He argued that videos claiming the center was closed were recorded outside of normal operating hours and did not accurately reflect daily activity.

Ali also expressed frustration that the controversy appeared to single out Somali-run childcare centers, suggesting that cultural bias may be influencing public perception.

“Are you trying to document fraud, or are you trying to attach the Somali name to fraud?” he asked. “That’s what has hurt us the most.”

He emphasized that the Quality Learning Center has been in operation for more than eight years and, according to him, has never permanently shut its doors during that time.

Regarding the misspelled signage where the word “Learning” appears incorrectly as “Learing”—Ali said the mistake was the result of a vendor error. He stated that a corrected sign is already being arranged and expects the issue to be resolved within days.

Federal Investigation Expands

While state officials insist that funding has not been suspended for the featured centers, federal authorities are taking a broader look at potential fraud within Minnesota’s social services system. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has confirmed that it is investigating suspected fraud sites linked to childcare and other assistance programs.

Federal officials have previously described the alleged fraud in Minnesota as vast in scope, with prosecutors suggesting losses could reach into the billions. As of now, nearly 100 individuals have been charged in related cases, though not all are connected to the childcare sector.

Lawmakers in Washington have also taken notice. House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer has summoned Minnesota officials to testify as Congress examines what some describe as systemic failures in oversight and accountability.

Republican lawmakers, including Rep. Tom Emmer, have argued that the scale of the alleged fraud makes it implausible that state leaders were unaware of the issues. The Walz administration has pushed back, maintaining that it has cooperated with investigations and strengthened controls over time.

Walz Administration Under Pressure

Governor Tim Walz has not yet publicly addressed the latest developments surrounding the childcare controversy. Fox News Digital reached out to his office for comment but did not receive a response by publication time.

As questions mount, parents and providers alike are seeking reassurance that the childcare system is both fair and functional. Advocates warn that heightened scrutiny, while necessary, must be balanced against the risk of unfairly stigmatizing communities that rely heavily on public assistance programs.

What Comes Next

With renewed inspections underway, a federal investigation expanding, and lawmakers demanding answers, the Minnesota childcare fraud controversy shows no signs of fading. The temporary crash of the state’s licensing website highlighted both the public’s demand for transparency and the challenges agencies face when scrutiny escalates rapidly.

For now, questions remain unanswered: Which centers, if any, will face funding suspensions? Were oversight mechanisms sufficient? And how will officials restore public trust while ensuring vulnerable families continue to receive essential childcare services?

Leave a Comment