Network News Global

Where Every Story Matters

GM, Ford, Stellantis CEOs go back to the drawing board with EVs
Business & Economy

GM, Ford, Stellantis CEOs go back to the drawing board with EVs


Unless your name is Tesla, the U.S. EV market has been a minefield for original equipment manufacturers. There were dangerous cracks even as customers set a record sales pace through the first three quarters of 2025.

U.S. consumers flocked to dealerships to buy EVs last year, right up until September 30, when the $7,500 EV tax credit expired. But even in the third quarter, during the height of that buying frenzy, customers purchased 90 different EV models; only nine sold more than 10,000 units.

This is the climate non-Tesla EV makers have to compete in, and it has forced General Motors, Ford, and Stellantis, the Detroit Big 3, to completely reevaluate their strategies.

“The vast majority of EVs sell at a rate of far less than 2,000 units a month, or 6,000 units a quarter. In the volume-driven business of automotive manufacturing, low volume is the enemy; EV profitability remains a distant dream for nearly every automaker,” Cox Automotive said last year.

GM confirmed this during its first-quarter earnings call last month. CFO Paul Jacobson said that quarterly EV losses were down several hundred million dollars year over year due to lower volumes. GM, Ford and Stellantis lose money on every EV they sell, so selling fewer of them is better for their bottom lines.

Despite this fact, OEMs are not abandoning EV manufacturing. They all still see EVs as the future of transportation and point to the success of their hybrid models (and Tesla) to show that there is demand yet to be tapped.

But each manufacturer seems to have a different strategy to bridge the gap between current demand and what they expect in the near future.

Ford is transitioning away from more expensive EVs like the Ford Mustang Mach e.Bloomberg / Getty Images
Ford is transitioning away from more expensive EVs like the Ford Mustang Mach e.Bloomberg / Getty Images

Ford CEO outlines company’s future EV strategy

Of the Detroit 3, Ford seems to be the most proactive with its EV strategy. And it needs to be since it wrote down $19.5 billion in EV-related losses.

Ford is completely changing its strategy. Instead of making more expensive EVs, Ford wants to build a fleet of cars that start under $30,000, and it is relying on its Skunk Works innovation division to deliver more cost-effective platforms.

Ford Model e losses by year

  • 2025: $4.8 billion

  • 2024: $5.1 billion

  • 2023: $4.7 billion

  • 2022: $2.2 billion

“By the end of the decade, 90% of our global nameplates will offer electrified powertrains, including advanced hybrids, extended range electric vehicles, and full EVs,” CEO Jim Farley stated in Ford’s first quarter earnings call.

Ford is transforming its Louisville Assembly Plant to build its Universal Electric Vehicle system, which supports multiple EV brands built on a single platform. That plant is expected to produce Ford’s next generation of EVs by 2027.



Source link

LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *